Thursday, September 11, 2008

CommuniCore



When one thinks of old attractions at Epcot, Horizons, World of Motion, and the Wonders of Life pavillions often come to mind first. However, the one that as time has passed seems to be the most missed by me is CommuniCore. Off the top of my mind I would probably say I miss Horizons the most, but the more I remember, and the more pictures I see I think I may miss CommuniCore even more. For the younger audience and those that didn't visit Epcot before the mid '90's Innoventions now exists where CommuniCore is and there are not many similarities between the two.

CommuniCore was divided between the two Innoventions buildings and consisted of restaurants, exhibits and perhaps one of the greatest shops in Disney park history, the Centorium. The above shot of the CommuniCore area at night makes me remember fond childhood memories of family trips to Disney. The buildings were much more open than they are now and helped convey the vast expanse of the park. The exhibits where immersive and educational while maintiaing a sense of Disney entertainment.

CommuniCore was a true Main Street equivalent for EPCOT Center. With restaurants like the Stargate Restaurant and Sunrise Terrace to the Centorium and a drink station called Beverage Base, the area had that futuristic almost sci-fi feel to it that I loved. If you get the chance visit the website Lost Epcot (link is to the left) and also listen to the CommuniCore show on Lou Mongello's WDW Radio Show (link also at the left) for a complete and wonderful look back at CommuniCore.

No comments: